Age: Ancient (400-800 yrs)
Access: Private
Site Type: Historic Castle/House/Estate
Location: Castle Huntly, The Drive, Castle Huntly, Longforgan, Dundee DD2 5HL
OS Map Grid: NO 30194 29105
Coordinates: 56.449370, -3.133666

Castle Huntly has its origins in the 15th century. Andrew, the first Lord Gray, was granted a royal licence in 1452 to build a castle and it is likely that construction began shortly after this. It is set on a flat plain close to the River Tay and stands on a volcanic mound. Patrick, first Earl of Kinghorne bought the estate in 1613 and his son later remodelled it and renamed it Castle Lyon. !n 1660 Patrick, third Earl of Kinghorne laid out the gardens and parkland before moving on to carry out work at Glamis castle. George Paterson bought the estate in 1777 and it remained in the Paterson family until the death of Colonel Adrian Paterson in 1940. (Information from Historic Environment Scotland). During the war years, the castle was used as a girl’s probation school before being purchased in 1946 by the Scottish Home and Health Department for use as a borstal and, today, it still belongs to the Scottish Prison Service.

An astonishing layered yew grows on the lawn in front of the castle with a canopy circumference of approximately 200 metres. The amazing growth is despite the fact that the main trunk has been smashed and badly damaged above 3m height, likely due to repeated storm damage. A total of 27 stems within the canopy were counted at the time of SYTHI’s visit in 2024. Visits are strictly by appointment via the Governor’s PA.

Access: Private
Age: Ancient (400-800 yrs)
Site Type: Historic Castle/House/Estate
Location: Castle Huntly, The Drive, Castle Huntly, Longforgan, Dundee DD2 5HL
OS Map Grid: NO 30194 29105
Coordinates: 56.449370, -3.133666