This magnificent, albeit dying, tree, is known as the Gartocharn Yew. Local tradition has it as a famous gathering place for cattle hundreds of years ago.
A dense woodland of Yews on the Hopetoun estate and next to Abercorn Church, originally a site from where Bishop Trumwine administered over the Picts during the late 7th Century.
Ardchattan Priory, Argyll and Bute
“Ardchattan Priory whose yew trees (Taxus baccata) according to other accounts, were inspected by Robert the Bruce and cut to make at least some of
Yew woodland close to the Knights Templars’ first preceptory at Temple.
Balbirnie House, Fife
Balbirnie House, now a hotel, stands in parkland and woodlands which have been public since 1990. There was a house here around 1640 when the
Ballachulish House, Highlands
Ballachulish House is a strictly private residence incorporating a bed and breakfast facility. It was built in 1746 to replace a partially destroyed house –
Bernera, Lismore, Argyll and Bute
In the sixth century an Irish Christian missionary, popularly called St Moluag, established a mission upon the island of Lismore in the Firth of Lorne
Blarcreen House, Inveresragan, Argyll and Bute
An old Gaelic poem reads: Bow of yew from Esragin (sic) Eagle feather from Loch Treig Yellow wax from Galway Town And arrow-head made by
Brodick Castle, Arran
Brodick Castle – the place where Robert Bruce launched his campaign to regain indpendence for Scotland – is the only place on Arran where Yews grow.
There are many Yews of different ages in the grounds of Carberry Estate – where Mary Queen of Scots surrended to an army raised by Scottish Lords and was taken into captivity.
Craigends Yew, Houston
This huge sprawling mass of a yew, on the banks of the river Gryffe in the middle of a housing estate, is said to be
Dairsie Castle Church
A number of yews at the entrance to the churchyard and in a small nearby woodland likely to have been planted in the late 18th and 19th Century.
Dalzell Estate, Motherwell, North Lanarkshire
Maxine Ross, Yew Trees of the Clyde Valley – February 2021 “Delighted to announce that we officially have some record- breaking Yew at Dalzell in
A fine collection of Yews surround a late 17th century bowling green within the grounds of Dirleton Castle. Other Yews in the parkland are thought to date to the 16th century.
If the Dryburgh Abbey Yew was planted, as claimed, by monks in 1136, this Yew and a second younger one in the grounds have grown at a remarkably slow rate.
A number of Yews grow next to the ruins of a 15th Century Collegiate Church.
There are several fine Yews around this site which has a long religious history connected with the Culdees and St Columba.
An example of yews growing in confined spaces.
World famous yew, most probably over 2,000 years old, and recently showing signs of changing sex.
The ancient site of Glamis Castle, near Forfar in Angus, is the home of the Earl and Countess of Strathmore and Kinghorne, and stands in
Gosford Estate & Wemyss Mausoleum
16 yews planted to surround the pyramidal mausoleum of a Grand Master Mason of Scotland.
There are small yews planted in a woodland overlooking the castle on the banks of the River Tyne.
One of the most significant yews in West Lothian, located right under the Forth Rail Bridge.
Hill of Tarvit
An avenue of Yew topiary and extensvie Yew hedging can be found at Hill of Tarvit.
Holy Trinity Church, Haddington
The church does not have a churchyard, but in the garden next to a wall stands a healthy male yew. A girth of 303 cm
Hopetoun House, West Lothian
Hopetoun House, a magnificent building in stunning surroundings, is said to be Scotland’s finest stately home and has been home to the Hope family since
An ancient yew remains standing in the courtyard of a castle burnt and destroyed by Cromwell.
A truly unique yew location – ‘the Isle of the Yews’ – reputed to have yews planted by Robert Bruce.
A sacred place, used by pagans, early Christians and the Knights Templar as a burial ground.
As well as yews within the castle grounds, a slight distance away and lining an old trackway between the castle and a burial ground is an avenue of over 30 yews.
Inveresk Lodge Gardens
The unusally pale bark of this yew shows vibrant red colours when wet.
John Knox’s Yew
The origin of this yew is a matter of debate as some claim it was planted by the leader of the Scottish Reformation John Knox
Two wonderful ancient yews command the space in the castle gardens, one of which classed as female is also showing male flowers.
Kinlochlaich Walled Garden, Argyll and Bute
Kinlochlaich House, was built circa 1830 and has formal gardens dating to 1790. A male twin stemmed yew stands on a verge next to an
A marvellous layering ancient yew with a canopy to walk in to.
A pair of yews with plenty of adventitious growth stand on the shores of Loch Lomond looking out to Inchlonaig – the Isle of Yews. Several others yews grow around the village.
Home to ‘the Four Evangelists’ – 400 years old clipped yew trees.
A solitary yew growing where the monastery cloisters once stood.
Four yews of over 200 years age line the edge of the churchyard on a steep bank.
A grove of yews near to the ruins of an old castle, an icehouse in their shade.
A substantial yew avenue, hedging, topiary and ancient woodland yews make this location a real treat for yew enthusiasts.
Old Pentland Kirkyard
The present kirkyard dates to the 17th century but was established on the site of the old parish church founded in the 13th century, which
Ormiston Hall, East Lothian
The Great Yew of Ormiston stands in what once were the grounds of Ormiston Hall, built in the mid – eighteenth century two miles south
Pittencrieff House, Fife
Pittencrieff House originally dates to the fifteenth century, when it was built by the Wemyss family who then sold the estate in 1610. Its present
Prestonfield House Hotel
Four yew trees, one of which was felled and now demonstrates the remarkable regenerative capacities of the yew.
Priorwood Gardens, Melrose
Two yews surviving with debris surrounding their trunks.
Riddell House, Scottish Borders
Two yews stand overlooking a field near to the ruins of Riddell House, a mansion which was burnt down in 1943. The mansion was originally
Robert Bruce’s Yew
Reputed to be the tree under which Robert the Bruce sheltered with 200 of his men.
Robert Louis Stevenson’s Yew, Colinton Manse
The yew under which the authour Robert Louis Stevenson played as a child.
Does this tall and ancient female yew stand above the treasures of the Knights Templar?
There are several ancient yews within this beautiful and magical glen.
Yews at risk – the loss of several ancient yews from a 600 year old yew avenue significant to Scotland’s history.
The yew tree as Yggdrasil, carved in stone, has a prime place in the mystery of Rosslyn Chapel.
Ruchlaw House, East Lothian
Ruchlaw House is a Scottish baronial mansion house built by Archibald Sydserff in the early seventeenth century. Leading from the main gates to the house
Saltoun Big Wood
Yews standing amongst a managed plantation. One exhibiting a beautifully fluted trunk.
A place with yew avenues, groves and woodlands, and unfortunately, evidence of ancient yews being recently felled.
Scone is one of Scotland’s most treasured sacred locations – having served as the inaugural site of Scottish kings and the home of the Stone of Destiny. There are yews of various ages planted extensively throughout the grounds.
Yews in a woodland, the location where novelist Nigel Tranter would come to write.
St Athernase, Leuchars
5 yews of varying ages in the churchyard of this interesting Romanesque design church.
St Devenics Church, Fife
A fine, ancient female yew with lots of new growth and arils in January.
St John’s the Baptist, Cupar
A churchyard yew whose age is hard to discern.
St Michaels, East Saltoun
A mix of early 19th century yews and one possibly over 300 years old.
Strontian Community Woodlands, Highlands
What is now Strontian Community Woodland was originally planted by the Riddell family in the early 1800’s. Soon after entering the woodland from the village
Temple was the primary preceptory for the Knights Templar. At the edge of the churchyard is a line of yews which have grown to create an archway.
A stunning grove of yews left to grow as one canopy, as well as a number of other yew trees and groves across the estate.
The Lodge, North Berwick
The Lodge Grounds were created in the late 17th century by the Dalrymples. In 1939 the Grounds became a public park. Outside the Lodge building,
An ancient yew in the former capital of the Scottish Gypsies.
A fine ancient yew and several younger ones throughout the estate.
Six notable yews in this small churchyard in an area associated with an early medieval religious settlement.
Surely a wonder of the world – the yew under which a plot to kill Lord Darnley is said to have been hatched.
William Wallace Yew
This very damaged but slowly recovering famous yew stands next to the ruins of Sir William Wallace’s birthplace and has been known as Wallace’s Yew