Tyninghame House is a Category A Listed Building and its grounds and gardens can be visited at certain times of the year.
There was a manor here mentioned in a charter of 1094. From the mid-13th until the 16th century it was held by the Bishops of St Andrews. In 1628 it was acquired by the 1st Earl of Haddington. Around 1700 the 6th Earl began renovating and replanting the estate and this included many yews to be seen today – with girth sizes ranging from 325 cm to 244 cm at 100 cm high (SYTHI2017).
However, there is one yew considerably larger than the rest and it stands between the house and the remains of the medieval chapel of St Baldred’s which are found in the grounds. In 1838 it was recorded in Loudon’s Arboretum and Fruticetum as ’24 ft. high, the diameter of the trunk 2 ft. 2 in. (NB the diameter not girth is 66 cm) and of the head 27ft’. In April 2013 a girth of 441cm @ 100 cm was recorded by David Alderman of the Tree Register of Great Britain and Ireland. Measured at the same height in 2018 by SYTHI the girth was 457 cm. This indicates a yew around, or possibly over, 500 years old but too young to be associated with St Baldred’s chapel.