There was a church here in the 13th century which was rebuilt in 1621. Vaughan Cornish, in his book The Churchyard Yew and Immortality (1946) notes there was “one English yew in the churchyard”. Thankfully it is still there.
This female yew in fine condition has been trimmed in recent years producing a dense spray of growth upon the lower trunk but not making a girth measurement impossible and a girth of 355 cm at 100 cm high was recorded (SYHI 2020). Given the exposed position of the churchyard mitigating growth it is likely the yew is at least 350 years old and probably contemporary with when the new church was built here almost exactly 400 years ago.
What was noticeable about this fine yew at the time of the SYTHI visit was that it was still producing arils in January.