The Hill of Tarvit Mansion is in the care of the National Trust for Scotland. Originally known as Wemyss Hall, a house dating to the 17th century, it was transformed and modernised in 1904.
The architect Robert Lorimer also designed the gardens which included extensive yew hedging and topiary. An avenue of Irish yew topiary leads to the house from the formal gardens.
There are yews elsewhere here. One stands at the entrance of the driveway and a close growing pair where the drive bends to access the house. Another stands by the gable of the house in a small garden. All are thought to be part of the modernisation in 1904 making them over 200 years old.