Hawes Inn is a 17th century coaching inn still functioning as it always has for almost 400 years. A date plaque upon the gable reads IS – BB 1638 and the building stands virtually underneath the Forth Rail Bridge which soars overhead.
In the garden of the inn stands a fine male yew with a trunk which forks at 40 cm high and has a girth at this height of 420 cm (SYTHI 2017). It is very likely that the yew is contemporary with when the inn was built and if so would make this yew almost 400 years old and one of the most significant yews in West Lothian. Other young yews exist in the gardens precincts and are relatively modern plantings.