Age: Heritage (<400 yrs), Ancient (400-800 yrs)
Access: Public ~ Admission fees and opening times apply
Site Type: Historic Castle/House/Estate
Location: Drum Castle, Drumoak, Banchory AB31 5EY
OS Map Grid: NJ 79620 00494
Coordinates: 57.096034, -2.342019

The castle and its grounds at Drum were granted to William de Irvyn in 1323 by Robert the Bruce. The oldest part of Drum Castle is the 13th Century tower believed to be one of the three oldest tower houses in Scotland. It remained in the possession of the Clan Irvine until 1975. It is now owned and managed by the National Trust for Scotland (see NTS Drum Castle).

According to the NTS ranger, the woodland around Drum Castle was a hunting forest and part of lands granted to the Irvine family in 1323 after a family member stood guard while the king rested hidden in a holly bush. The oldest oaks in the woodland are circa 1760 and planted by Mary Irvine.

In the woodland there is a female phoenix yew with noticeably dark foliage and very long needles (at the time of visit in May 2024) in an area of Victorian planting. Deeper into the woodland is a female layering yew with a sizeable trunk and a canopy circumference of approximately 80 metres. Next to the chapel close to the castle is another yew probably over 300 years old.

Access: Public ~ Admission fees and opening times apply
Age: Heritage (<400 yrs), Ancient (400-800 yrs)
Site Type: Historic Castle/House/Estate
Location: Drum Castle, Drumoak, Banchory AB31 5EY
OS Map Grid: NJ 79620 00494
Coordinates: 57.096034, -2.342019